October 2nd, 2020 at 1:00 pm EDT
“My intention today is to bring everyone together as quickly as possible to respond to questions and concerns about the state of Ontario. Given the second wave of COVID-19 Premier Ford is announcing certain restrictions to contain and prevent the spread of the virus. As I’ve said many times, our sector was hit first and hardest and will take the longest to recover. This recent wave of the virus has shown us no mercy.” – Minister Lisa MacLeod
Series of Safety Measures:
- New measures to protect the safety and well-being of volunteers include a provincial mask mandate with certain exceptions for schools and for people with disabilities (does not include people eating, drinking or exercising as long as they are keeping a respectful distance)
- Limiting gatherings to 100 indoors for restaurants and all similar establishments
- Allowing no more than six people at a table in restaurants and requiring the collection of all patron’s contact information.
- Limiting social circles to a household only
- Postponing the opening of theme parks, amusement parks and waterparks
Monies that have been allocated during COVID-19
- $353 million to agencies and attractions
- $83 million to Ontario Trillium foundation resiliency fund.
- $21 million for high-performance athletes
- $21 million for public libraries
- $19 million for regional tourism organizations
- $14.2 million for hyperlocal tourism marketing
- $9 million for Northern Ontario support
- $8.1 million for sports organizations
- $7 million to the Ontario Music Investment Fund
- $1.5 million to export Canadian film and television contracts
Hyperlocal tourism – opening a new $9 million grant stream on October, 8th 2020, to support safely reconnecting Ontarians during the winter months, specifically around Thanksgiving. Halloween, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Year’s and other special moments.
On October 30th, 2020, Minister Lisa MacLeod will be laying out her strategic vision for the ministry. They are also working on tabling a fall budget, where there will be additional support promised to our sectors at that time.