Marketing and Communications Manager
MOCA Toronto is motivated by the principle that museums and their programmes are culturally and socially beneficial to the diversity of the communities they serve. MOCA supports and promotes forward-thinking artistic experimentation and provides a community space for enrichment, discourse, collaboration and creativity. Working across all contemporary art forms, MOCA’s programmes empower local artists and engage the Toronto art scene while contributing to the international art community and scholarship.
MOCA is a not-for-profit charitable organization. The evolution of the Museum is made possible through a unique alliance with Castlepoint Auto Building Inc, public sector funders, private donors, members, sponsors and a network of cross-sectoral partners.
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: April 2021
Application Deadline: March 14, 2021
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reporting to: Director of Development & External Engagement
MOCA is looking for a Marketing and Communications Manager to take on the day-to-day and project management of all marketing and communications activities for the museum. Reporting to the Director of Development and External Engagement, the Marketing and Communications Manager will be instrumental in communicating MOCA as the preeminent destination for contemporary art in Toronto and delivering campaigns that increase awareness of MOCA and its programmes to optimize growth in attendance and membership, strengthen community engagement, and drive revenue
- Develop visitor growth plan, increase new visitors numbers, attendance revenue and deepen engagement with existing audiences through the lifecycle, via marketing, advertising, digital campaigns and segmentation.
- Develop a comprehensive multi-channel marketing plan for MOCA exhibitions, programmes and tourism destination development, to support brand awareness and audience development goals
- Work collaboratively with the development/fundraising team to develop and execute marketing strategies to convert visitors to members/donors and support fundraising initiatives
- Work closely with the development and programming teams to ensure contact lists are updated and segmented in increasingly sophisticated ways
- Increase reach to new markets and stakeholder groups through partnership, advertising, events, and other outreach activities
- Manage the marketing team’s production calendarNegotiate, purchase, analyze traditional paid advertising and non-paid media promotions
- Develop and implement digital marketing initiatives for website, email, display advertising, SEO, landing page/ab testing, and paid social media campaigns
- Create strategy to achieve and sustain growth targets for social platforms
- Coordinate with curators and programmers on audience targets and marketing strategies for individual exhibitions, events and programs
- Develop and maintain a marketing dashboard with key analytics/metrics
- Support market research and visitor evaluation for each exhibition phase
- Analyze visitor data to define key areas for growth
- Assist in the planning, forecasting, and management of marketing budget
- Research and monitor museum marketing best practices
Communications & Content Management
- Manage the Communications & Social Media calendars
- Compile, edit and deploy email newsletters and eblasts
- Oversee social media accounts and manage strategy and schedule to ensure consistency and engagement
- Oversee production of print/digital materials for campaigns, letters, signage, exhibition text panels, museum guide and other collateral
- Supervise the approval processes of marketing and communications related content and editorial
- Coordinate with external PR agency on media and outreach strategy
- Oversee content creation (video, web, photography, graphic design)
- Use MOCA’s project management software (Asana) to manage production calendars, assign and supervise work
- Maintain relationships with CRM platform (Constant Contact), web maintenance & domain provider
- Manage the Marketing/Communications budget and allocate resources accordingly
- Manage contracts and payments for freelancers, contract staff and consultants
- Assist with the development of the annual budget for marketing and communications
- Oversee asset/content file management and archive
- Support digital initiatives of other departments as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Attributes
- University degree in a related field
- 3-5 years demonstrated brand management, campaign marketing and content development experience at a manager level, preferably in a not-for-profit cultural organization
- Ability to translate and interpret complex concepts and information for various audiences in a way that is consistent with MOCA’s brand
- Strong visual literacy and ability to effectively direct content creators
- Experience in advertising, tourism management, digital campaigns, audience development, and research.
- Proven experience in implementing SEO/SEM strategies
- Ability to generate, analyze and interpret data using digital analytics tools (Google Analytics, Sprout Social, UTM codes, sales software)
- Outstanding communication, writing, administrative and organizational skills
- Remain focused in the face of pressure, delivers against timelines, not intimidated by tasks/time limitations
- Interest in contemporary art, visual arts, and MOCA’s mission an asset
Equity and Diversity
MOCA Toronto advocates equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and is committed to diversity in the workplace.
MOCA Toronto is committed to ensuring that MOCA Toronto is an inclusive space where community members are treated with respect and dignity. MOCA Toronto encourages applications from everyone, including but not limited to women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
How to Apply
Please submit your application through our job application form. Due to limited resources, we will only contact those selected for an interview.