Exhibition and Programming Assistant (YCW)
The City of Owen Sound Requires an
Exhibition and Programming Assistant at the Tom Thomson Art Gallery
We are seeking an Exhibition and Programming Assistant to support the development
of a major exhibition that explores the Gallery’s history through research, digitization,
and the creation of public engagement opportunities. This position will play a key role in making the Gallery’s history accessible to the public and in supporting the Gallery’s public engagement strategies, including developing educational models, providing public tours, and supporting visitor services.
The Exhibition and Programming Assistant will assist with conducting research, collating information, creating proposals for educational models, developing an exhibition timeline, digitizing documents, proposing the presentation format for historical content within an exhibition, conducting public and group tours, assisting with events and programs, assisting with all aspects and duties of Visitor Services during the busy summer season.
This is a great opportunity to gain experience working in a public art gallery and will
provide a broad range of duties. The candidate will gain experience and skills in project
management, time and resource management, program and exhibition design, public
speaking, public programming models, and working with diverse audiences.
The following skills are also required:
- Has studied or is studying within the disciplines of education, fine art, art history, arts administration or museum studies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills for communicating with diverse audiences
- Demonstrated creativity and desire to work with diverse age groups an backgrounds
- Strong organization, time management, attention to detail, and multi-tasking
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience working in a public environment
- Customer service, teaching, or tourism experience
- Competency in using Microsoft Office Suite, social media, scanners, cameras, and databases
An individual may be eligible for a Young Canada Works work assignment if they:
- Are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- Are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- Will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) during the Young Canada Works (YCW) work assignment;
- Have been a full-time high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW work assignment; and Intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW work assignment.
The successful candidate will be paid $14 per hour and work 35 hours a week from June 7, 2021 to August 27, 2021 (12 weeks); weekend and evening work will be required.
Candidates are also encouraged to visit the gallery website at www.owensound.ca/en/tomthomson.aspx.
To explore this opportunity further, we invite qualified applicants to forward their resume and covering letter referencing job number 2021-17 by May 6, 2021:
Human Resources Manager
City of Owen Sound
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, and will only be used for candidate selection. We will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code and the AODA in all aspects of the hiring process, upon request