Communications Coordinator / Writer & Editor
Communications Coordinator / Writer & Editor
Contract: ASAP – December 17, 2021 (possibility for renewal)
Terms: 32 hours/week, $24/hour, Health benefits Allowance
About the Role
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications and the Executive Director of Ontario Culture Days, this role is responsible for enhancing and implementing the Ontario Culture Days digital content strategy and achieving social media goals, ensuring top-quality writing and visual content on all platforms, including coordinating, writing, and editing content presented on our platforms and those of our partners.
This role is responsible for achieving the goals and objectives related to Ontario Culture Days communication and engagement with the arts/culture sector, tourism sector, arts/culture audiences, and public including coordinating:
- Social media
- Content writing
- Media relations
- Email communications
- Administrative planning, research, meeting deadlines, facilitating approvals, etc, of all details related ot the above core areas of responsibility
- Enhancing and implementing the Ontario Culture Days content strategy and social media followers plan, including achieving milestone goals
- Day-to[day oversight and coordination of our website
- Planning, writing, editing, and posting organic social media content, appropriate to different platforms
- Planning, writing, editing, testing, optimizing, and tracking social media boosted content and advertising
- Planning, writing, editing, and posting “Things to Do” articles on the website every 2 weeks, supported with social media posts
- Editing all articles, website content, social media content, as well as tings like reports, sponsorships packages, and other written communication
- Research and developing media lists
- Proactively, writing, editing, testing, and deploying all email newsletters and other email communication to email subscribers, organizing network, and others
- Coordinating online content calendars, ensuring all deadlines are met and all content is complete and top-quality
- Researching and preparing relevant stories for our online channels, and working with colleagues to best present these stories to a wider audience
- Alongside other colleagues, create, edit and implement content to be presented on our owned and partner websites, newsletters, and social. media
- Proactively making content updates and edits on all Ontario Culture Days websites
- Tracking and reporting on social media followers and engagement, enews subscriptions and opt-outs and open rates, social media advertising performance, and other relevant analytics
- Helping to execute special campaigns and projects
- Identifying and resolving issues with content in a timely and professional manner
- Collaborating with all Ontario Culture Days staff in a positive and proactive manner
We are looking for someone to add to our team, who:
- Has excellent story-creation, writing, and editing skills
- Has excellent time and task management skills
- Has excellent project coordination skills
- Inspires their colleagues with knowledge, skills, energy and passion
- Fosters an environment of innovation, collaboration, and personal accountability
- Supports a culture that actively raises the bar within Ontario Culture Days and beyond
- Proactively establishes and maintains positive and effective working team relationships
- Understands and enforces all company policies and procedures
- Minimum 3 years experience working in a similar communications role, related to the arts, culture and heritage sector, tourism experience is an asset
- Minimum 3 years writing and editing experience
- Possess a solid understanding of effective grassroots and digital marketing techniques
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively
- Strong time-management and organizational skills
- A solid understanding of WordPress, CreativeSuite, MailChimp, Buffer
- Post-secondary degree in a related field (Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, journalism, etc)
- Valid Ontario driver’s license
About Ontario Culture Days
Ontario Culture Days fosters public engagement with a vibrant Ontario arts, culture, and heritage sector. We produce year-round content, lead a month-long province-wide festival, and support a wide network of organizers through communications, marketing, outreach and artistic programs. We participate in the national Culture Days festivities, starting the last Friday of each September. In 2019, the Ontario Culture Days Festival had 1,500 events registered in over 130 Ontario municipalities, and over 750,000 Ontarians attended. In 2020, despite the pandemic, the Festival was expanded to four weeks, and included more than 1,000 events (mostly online) in 75 municipalities, with attendance exceeding 1 million Ontarians. Programs included digital, self-guided, and in-person events with safety precautions in place.
In 2019, ONCD expanded its brand and its year-round scope to include Ontario’s tourism sector through the launch of oncultureguids.ca. The website provides unique insight through local arts and culture stories found throughout the province, things to do, and a growing roster of cultural travel guides.
We are committed to reducing barriers to accessibility to the arts, culture and heritage sector, and in achieving greater equity within it. We believe that striving for equity is integral to achieving our mission fo a vibrant and sustainable sector.
For more information please visit our website at oncultureguides.ca
Send a one-page cover letter and your resume to email@example.com, with the subject line: “Communications Coordinator/Writer/Editor Application”
We strive to activate a lens of pluralism, equity, and inclusion. We invite participation from a variety of backgrounds with an interest in moving our mission, vision, and values forward. In particular, we encourage perspectives of Indigenous, Black, and People of Colour (IBPOC), Trans, Non-Binary, LGBTQ2S, as well as individuals across Ontario.
Location: Though our office is in downtown Toronto, over the course of this contract all Ontario Culture Days staff are expected to work remotely. Successful candidates must be located in Ontario, but do not need to be in the Toronto area.
Application Deadline: Thursday March 4, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest in the role. We will only be contacting only applicants selected for an interview. Interviews will take place in mid-March 2021.